[vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 14:36:10 BST

There have been numerous 'requests' for a new Stable
release and it seems like the Linux-VServer community
is willing to 'sponsor' the stabilization process ...

I've spent a bunch of hours on getting the 3.0 kernel
(patch) up and running to a degree where it is actually
useable

What might have gone unnoticed in the past is that
there have been quite intrusive changes in certain
kernel releases, which kept us from actually doing the
necessary code review and testing for a stable release

 2.6.22 -> 2.6.23 (scheduler, nsproxy, memory)
 2.6.26 -> 2.6.29 (memory, page cache, networking)
 2.6.32 -> 2.6.33 (sendfile, quota)
 2.6.38 -> 2.6.39 (vfs and thus cow, networking)

finally 3.0 has broken some things like the user name-
spaces and it will probably take some time till that
get fixed upstream

thus the first thing is to select a kernel we want
to stabilize for a stable release ...

options IMHO are:

 - 2.6.32.x (has performance issues, but is long term)
 - 2.6.38.x (good performance, not longterm yet)
 - 3.0.x (immature, but the future)

note that whatever kernel we choose, the stabilization
will be for that kernel only, i.e. there is no way to
port such a kernel to the other branch (without need
to redo all the testing and review)

please share your thoughts and preferences in this
thread so that we get an idea where we are heading to

thanks in advance,
Herbert