Re: [vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release

From: Gordan Bobic <gordan_at_bobich.net>
Date: Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 14:51:17 BST

 On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:36:10 +0200, Herbert Poetzl
 <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

> thus the first thing is to select a kernel we want
> to stabilize for a stable release ...
>
> options IMHO are:
>
> - 2.6.32.x (has performance issues, but is long term)
> - 2.6.38.x (good performance, not longterm yet)
> - 3.0.x (immature, but the future)
 [...]
> please share your thoughts and preferences in this
> thread so that we get an idea where we are heading to

 Provided that 3.0.x branch will work on most current stable releases of
 major distros (latest RHEL, SuSE, Debian) without major userspace
 changes (e.g. mkinitrd/dracut, dm/md programs), my vote is definitely
 for it. In general, whatever is the latest that works on all of them is
 probably the best target to stabilize on since it is what will be useful
 to most people.

 I'll try to get around to doing a quick test tonight to see if the
 latest 3.0.x works on RHEL6 based userspace, and if it doesn't,
 establish what the latest that works is. I'll also see what I can do WRT
 testing what the latest working kernel is for current Fedora on ARM, but
 that may take an extra few days.

 Perhaps fans of the other distros can verify what is the latest that
 works on them?

 I think the most important target for stabilization is the "stable"
 distributions (e.g. RHEL, Debian) rather than the bleeding edge ones
 (e.g. Fedora, Ubuntu).

 Gordan