Re: [vserver] Systemd and EL7

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 21:52:21 GMT

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 08:30:37PM +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Has anyone managed to get VServer running properly on EL7 or
> any other systemd based distribution?

I don't think anybody using Linux-VServer (or containers in
general) is really interested in having a daemon running
which requires hardware access and total system control.

> All major distributions have, to my huge disappointment, moved
> to systemd. I am not a fan, but this terrible decision on part
> of all major distribution maintainers seems to be here to stay
> for at least the foreseeable future of the current long-term
> release cycle.

There is already uselessd and other approaches to mitigate
the fact that most distros have no taste when it comes to
init or audio daemons :)

> Consequently, if VServer cannot be made to work with systemd
> based guests, the only option is to abandon systemd for a
> different similar solution (LXC or OpenVZ).

Last time I checked out LXC, it took me 15 seconds to reboot
the host from inside a container. But yes, there are other
options as well, take your pick.

> I would prefer to not have to do this, but I don't see any
> other options. My current system is reaching it's EOL, and
> when I build it's replacement I will be doing so using EL7.

RHEL 6 has EOL 2023, so that should give you some time.

> Is there a way to make a systemd based guest work inside a
> VServer chroot?

I'm pretty sure there is, not sure how much you need to
lower the security though to make that work.

I think the main problem is that systemd doesn't do proper
logging when something goes wrong, an so it becomes very
tricky to debug.

If you tell me what fails and why it fails, then it is
probably very simple to add this or that exception to the
Linux-VServer patches to "make it work".

All the best,
Herbert