[vserver] Cloning a vserver

From: Tor Rune Skoglund <trs_at_swi.no>
Date: Tue 18 Mar 2014 - 12:16:49 GMT

Hello List,

the wiki says

"Building guests using the clone build method

The clone build method copies the filesystem from one guest to another,
much like the rsync build method, but the thing that separates it is
that it knows about unified/hashified files. This means that it only
creates new links for such files, and copies the rest, which can lead to
significantly speedier builds."

but that seem to indicate that the vserver that is being cloned has to
be hasified in the first place.(?) Wouldn't cloning using some kind of
"hashification process" for the whole file system directly be a huge
space saver (and faster)?

If I would like to clone a vserver, and at the same time saving disk
space as much as possible, I guess I would have to hashify just that
source server first, then do the clone operation.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Tor Rune Skoglund, trs@swi.no