Re: [vserver] Upgrading quest from Debian squeeze to wheezy

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Mon 14 Oct 2013 - 05:08:39 BST

On Mon, 07 Oct 2013 18:49:40 +0200
Jean Weisbuch <jean@phpnet.org> wrote:

> It works but it might stop in the middle of the apt-get upgrade on the
> sysv-rc package if you removed by hand some init scripts on the guest,
> you will need to do an apt-get -f install then an apt-get dist-upgrade
> again afterwise and it will be OK.

yes, recently upgrading from squeeze to wheezy i encountered such error
messages as:

insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start service hwclock
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header

but they were easily resolved (though tediously, as enabling one revealed two
more that needed to be enabled, until it felt like they had all been enabled,
one at a time) with "update-rc.d <name> enable".

> Don't forget to re-remove the un-needed init scripts from /etc/rc.*/.
> Here is the code i use for that matter (i have mksh, Perl and GNU
> Parallel on all my guests installs but it should work the same with
> ksh93 or bash and xargs instead of parallel) :
> vserver ${VSERVERNAME} exec /bin/mksh -c "ls -U
> /etc/init.d/*@(check|udev|hostname|mtab|mount|fs|reboot|random|hwclock)*
> |perl -pe 's#^.*init.d/(.*)\$#\1#' |parallel 'update-rc.d -f {} remove'"

i believe you forgot "halt".

and to provide another example (more explicit, but equivalent):

for FILE in checkfs.sh checkroot-bootclean.sh checkroot.sh halt hostname.sh
hwclock.sh mountall-bootclean.sh mountall.sh mountdevsubfs.sh mountkernfs.sh
mountnfs-bootclean.sh mountnfs.sh mtab.sh reboot umountfs umountnfs.sh
umountroot urandom; do update-rc.d -f ${FILE} remove; done

> On 07/10/2013 18:32, Cristian Rigamonti wrote:
> > Hi, anyone has experience in upgrading a vserver guest from Debian squeeze to
> > wheezy, while still running plain Debian squeeze on the host?

what's "plain Debian squeeze"? is that debian squeeze without linux-vserver
(but then how are you upgrading the guest without resorting to a primitive
chroot)?

> > I've found posts and bug reports describing problems in _creating_ a new wheezy
> > guest, but I was wondering about simply _upgrading_ an existing guest.
> >
> > Will it work? Or should I first upgrade the host system to wheezy and install
> > one of the unofficial vserver-enabled kernels?

just this weekend i upgraded a guest from lenny (yeah, some of my guests have
gone neglected) to squeeze to wheezy on a squeeze host without any major
issues and only the minor issue of re-enabling the aforementioned init
scripts, which is independent of the host.

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com