Re: [vserver] Re: How do I stop a high guest CPU load and ifb0 from dropping internet packets?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 12:31:49 BST

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 03:31:44PM +1000, Fog_Watch wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:52:07 +1000
> Fog_Watch <db5@exemail.com.au> wrote:

>> What changes are needed to prevent a high guest CPU load, when
>> combined with an IFB ingress interface, from dropping packets?

> Since the last post I've successfully used cpuset to distribute my cores
> so that, I think, my host has one entirely to itself:
> cset:
> Name CPUs-X MEMs-X Tasks Subs Path
> ------------ ---------- - ------- - ----- ---- ----------
> root 0-7 y 0 y 175 4 /
> as 1-4 n 0 n 61 0 /as
> kdc 7 n 0 n 2 0 /kdc
> voip 5 n 0 n 70 0 /voip
> hf 6 n 0 n 32 0 /hf

> The problem remains.

> When ingress traverses an IFB, with a high host CPU load,
> packets are not dropped, but when a guest CPU load is high
> packets are dropped.

Okay, what kernel/patch/util-vserver version?

Are network related interrupts routed to the host
only CPU (0 in your case)?

Does it happen on a specific guest?
If so, which guest load triggers it?

> How do I prevent my guest-related packet drops?

Ingress filtering works by dropping packets, so
how do you know that the packets are not dropped
because the limit was reached?