Re: [vserver] Debian/Ubuntu testing

From: Michael Cloonan <mick.cloonan_at_sirca.org.au>
Date: Fri 15 Jun 2012 - 04:46:39 BST

I managed to make some packages for Ubuntu precise with:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.3.5.tar.xz
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/patch-3.3.5-vs2.3.3.3.diff

Patching with patch -p1 < patch-3.3.5-vs2.3.3.3.diff (use --dryrun first
to make sure it'll work)

Then for the kernel:

make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd --append-to-version=-vserver
kernel-image kernel-headers kernel-source

The downloaded the vserver utils:

http://people.linux-vserver.org/%7Edhozac/t/uv-testing/util-vserver-0.30.216-pre3034.tar.bz2

Changing line 24, debian/rules "--with-vrootdir=/home" needs a new home
(where to put vservers)

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -F

And that was it! Nice set of packages and a new kernel that installed
perfectly.

I think you need to install fakeroot or some such first, and obviously
GCC and friends.

I've had no problems with this setup. Hopefully a sage on this list can
point out if there is a mistake someplace.

Cheers