Re: [vserver] Building on CentOS 6.2

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Fri 03 Feb 2012 - 15:43:38 GMT

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 15:15 +0000, Phil Daws wrote:
> Gordan,
>
> Really appreciate that as it has helped us to move forward :) Once I fixed the init scripts we can now build a CentOS6 VS but when starting it up it returns the error:

> [root@testvserver01 centos6-basevs]# vserver centos6-basevs start
> Entering non-interactive startup
> vshelper.init: can not determine xid of vserver 'centos6-basevs'; returned value was ''
>
> This usually means that you're using an init-less init-style, but the
> guest isn't configured to start any service. Try enabling a service,
> changing the init-style, or making the contexts persistent.
>
> An error occured after executing the vserver startup sequence. This
> means that some processes may exist in the created context and the
> manual execution of
>
> /sbin/vserver '/etc/vservers/centos6-basevs' stop
>
> is recommended to fix this.
>
> I have checked /etc/vservers/centos6-basevs and that has the correct context:
>
> [root@testvserver01 centos6-basevs]# cat /etc/vservers/centos6-basevs/context
> 40006
>
> Do we need to do something different in the latest releases of vserver and util-vserver ?

I suspect this does have to do with the init style. CentOS 5 used the
traditional sysv sequential init routine. I believe CentOS 6 uses one
of the new parallel init routines; I forget off hand which one. They
make for dramatically faster booting but I believe there are special
steps to enable these sequences in VServer. I've not done it yet myself
so I do not know what they are - John