Re: [vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release

From: Roman Vesely <roman_at_liten.cz>
Date: Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 18:59:13 BST

V Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:48:36 +0200
Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

> > And in 3.1 kernel may be large changes difficult to adapt -
> > never-ending story continues.
>
> this might be true, but it might also be that the 3.0
> branch brings a new stabilization period upstreams as
> well, with the main focus on bug fixing ...

{{Citation needed}}

The only change in the number.
3.0 == 2.6.40.
3.x == 2.6.40+x

> for example, I just backported the latest 3.0 Linux-VServer
> patch to 2.6.39 (which has a lot more in common with 3.0
> than with 2.6.38) in a few minutes (test compiling now)
> and the same might be true for 3.0.x and even 3.1.x

Maybe, maybe not. :-(

> of course, nobody really knows and I don't know what
> distributions will do, but I guess that nobody wants to
> stick with a 2.6 kernel now that 3.0 is out, at least all
> the major distros will feature and support 3.x in some
> way ...

Majority of productions server will have the following years 2.6.32 kernel.
Newer kernels do not "killer feature" for most sysadmin's.
If vserver will support 2.6.32, it will be easy to use for a huge number of servers.
And it will be a lot of time to support kernel 3.x for next RedHat/Debian....

This is my opinion.

Thanks,

Roman