Re: [vserver] Stable Linux-VServer Release

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 17:48:36 BST

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 04:54:07PM +0200, Roman Vesely wrote:
> V Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:51:17 +0100
> Gordan Bobic <gordan@bobich.net> napsáno:

>>> thus the first thing is to select a kernel we want
>>> to stabilize for a stable release ...

>>> options IMHO are:

>>> - 2.6.32.x (has performance issues, but is long term)
>>> - 2.6.38.x (good performance, not longterm yet)
>>> - 3.0.x (immature, but the future)
>> [...]
>>> please share your thoughts and preferences in this
>>> thread so that we get an idea where we are heading to

>> Provided that 3.0.x branch will work on most current stable releases
>> of major distros (latest RHEL, SuSE, Debian) without major userspace
>> changes (e.g. mkinitrd/dracut, dm/md programs), my vote is
>> definitely for it. In general, whatever is the latest that works on
>> all of them is probably the best target to stabilize on since it is
>> what will be useful to most people.

> After several months of stabilization vserver patch for 3.0 kernel
> will be 3.0 kernel UNSUPPORTED and bad choice for production setup.

> And in 3.1 kernel may be large changes difficult to adapt -
> never-ending story continues.

this might be true, but it might also be that the 3.0
branch brings a new stabilization period upstreams as
well, with the main focus on bug fixing ...

for example, I just backported the latest 3.0 Linux-VServer
patch to 2.6.39 (which has a lot more in common with 3.0
than with 2.6.38) in a few minutes (test compiling now)
and the same might be true for 3.0.x and even 3.1.x

of course, nobody really knows and I don't know what
distributions will do, but I guess that nobody wants to
stick with a 2.6 kernel now that 3.0 is out, at least all
the major distros will feature and support 3.x in some
way ...

> Vserver team has limited time to work.
> I am afraid that is wasted on the support of all kernel's.

that's why we are trying to make a new 'stable' release
happen, but OTOH, if there are enough contributions, I've
no problem with two stable branches e.g. 2.6.32 and 3.x