Re: [vserver] What is the right way to copy a runnig vserver ?

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 15:31:41 GMT

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the right way to copy a running vserver ?
>
> The google search talk about vserver-copy but I haven't this utility on
> my system and an apt-file search give nothing.
>
> I use Debian 5.0 and 2.6.32-bpo.4-vserver-686-bigmem kernel.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Depends on what you want to do. If you're moving a guest and want as
small of a downtime window as possible, I'd suggest:

rsync -HzaxvP --numeric-ids /vservers/<guest>/ root@server:/vservers/<guest>/
rsync -HzaxvP --numeric-ids /vservers/<guest>/ root@server:/vservers/<guest>/
vserver <guest> stop
rsync -HzaxvP --numeric-ids /vservers/<guest>/ root@server:/vservers/<guest>/
vserver <guest> start

If you just want to clone one that is running, where the services
don't keep any significant state (i.e. no database), simply use the
rsync or clone build methods.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson