Re: [vserver] What is the right way to copy a runnig vserver ?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 15:36:00 GMT

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 04:23:46PM +0100, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,

> What is the right way to copy a running vserver ?

depends on the software running inside ...

> The google search talk about vserver-copy but I haven't this
> utility on my system and an apt-file search give nothing.

ignore that, it wouldn't work anyways ...

typically rsync or the rsync build method should do
the job, as well as the clone build method (especially
if you use unification)

certain software might require special handling
(i.e. down a service inside the guest first) while
other will do nicely with an lvm snapshot/backup

a common solution to handle this kind of software
in a general way is to do a hot rsync (i.e. while
the guest is running) and a quick resync while the
guest is shut down for a few seconds ...

from the Linux-VServer PoV, it doesn't matter how
you copy the guest ...

> I use Debian 5.0 and 2.6.32-bpo.4-vserver-686-bigmem kernel.

well, you can always upgrade :)