Re: [vserver] Linux-vServer Support in libvirt

From: Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed 07 Apr 2010 - 04:58:01 BST

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Walter Stanish <
walter.stanish@saffrondigital.com> wrote:

> Hi libvir-list (cc: vserver list),
>
> I am another Linux-vServer user who would like to see support in libvirt.
>
> From a very brief look back through the archives it appears that there may
> have been some architectural concerns re: libvirt's assumptions about what
> kind of network stack a virtualisation platform provides, in that
> Linux-vServer doesn't use a traditional approach to networking and thus may
> break previously valid assumptions.
>
> I found 2007 posts and a post last year (2009).

I remeber hearing that the patches have been submitted multiple times
http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/200807/0003.html

> Would it be possible for someone with a good overall understanding of
> issues were encountered and how difficult it would be to overcome these, so
> that users can understand what's going on.
>
> The issue: linux-vserver is not sexy and hip like some of those other
technologies. Maybe if vserver was a huge hulking patch, had really slow
emulation, and or then more or less got killed by being aquired by a large
non-open source friendly company...

http://boycottnovell.com/2009/02/25/xen-spit-it-out-strategy/

...people would start adopting it.