Re: [vserver] guest libraries vs host libraries

From: Martin <inkubus_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Tue 27 May 2008 - 23:35:04 BST

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 15:45 -0400, Chuck wrote:
> someone wants me to run a debian sarge vserver on our gentoo amd64 machine
> which was compiled using glibc 2.6 libraries and nptl with no deprecated
> linux threads support.
If it was me I'd politely point out that etch has been stable for over a
year now and that this means sarge no longer gets security updates.
Thus unless they are willing to do their own security and backporting of
patches, it can't be run safely.

> will this cause a problem for the debian vserver to run considering it is
> compiled with 'ancient' libraries? i think glibc2.0 or something like that.
2.3.2

> i know nothing about debian so if i just 'talked thru my hat' i apologize :)
It's not really a debian question as much as general linux question.

As long as the amd64 kernel has support for running the right format
(x86 probably) of binaries it *should* work. NPTL / Linux threads is a
libc issue, so you should be able to run the host on NPTL and the guest
on linux threads - given that the kernel has support for both (IIRC
Linux threads used clone(2) / vfork or similar).

Cheers,
 - Martin