Re: [Vserver] Anounce: CentOS 5 guest image

From: Sandino Araico Sánchez <sandino_at_sandino.net>
Date: Mon 16 Jul 2007 - 14:16:41 BST

Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Sandino Araico Sánchez wrote:
>
>> Yum is marked unstable in Gentoo. It works sometimes but i got used to
>> unpacking the guest image and running a script that creates the config
>> directory and the config file... It takes me about 20 minutes to setup a
>> new vservar and have it running....
>>

> What config file? You're also aware of vserver ... build -m template, yes?

I am aware of build -m template but most of the parameters are the same
for all my vservers so I hardcoded them in a script so I can use it with
a small config file with only the values that change. It's not rocket
science to create a config directory with all the correct values.

The script is not general purpose. It's designed for the defaults I use
in all my vservers (no more than 50 lines of code)... It's not intended
to reinvent the build -m template; It's just a customization for my
service.
> 20 minutes does seem like a long time, especially if it doesn't include
> downloading the guest. What else is your script doing?

20 minutes from registering the new vserver in the DNS, connecting to
the server, to creating the new vserver, verifying everything works and
sending notification to the customer....

>> Yum in Gentoo is sensitive to upgrades of dependencies; it breaks
>> easily.... Whenever Yum breaks It's easier to unpack a guest image than
>> revdep-rebuild.....
>>

> So, pin the few packages it does depend on? Seems to me like you're
> unnecessarily complicating the procedure.

LibXML2 with USE=python (for example) ... My opinion is that the host
server installation should be as minimal as possible and as hardened as
possible.... Yum depends on ~10 packages I don't need for anything else.
I can install yum and revdep-rebuild every time It breaks (I know it
breaks every now and then), but I don't gain a huge beneffit over
unpacking a host image and running a configuration script......

Now, think about supporting not only CentOS but also Fedora, Ubuntu,
Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, SuSE, an embedded system a friend jut cooked,
I will end up with lots and lots of new dependency packages and several
distinct installation procedures instead of a single unified procedure
of unpacking a host image and running a configuration script.

Perhaps you are underestimating the usefulness of host images... Perhaps
a general purpose procedure could be a build -m template install
followed by unpacking a host image of the Linux distro of your choice.
If you have many vservers with many different distros you don't need to
install all the distro-specific tools; you just need to unpack the host
image and that's it.

--
Sandino Araico Sánchez
edce71952773051c884f6a49cc194445 8a3ac99fbf88d0c58677ffd9706081bb5471b756