Re: [Vserver] Anounce: CentOS 5 guest image

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Sun 15 Jul 2007 - 03:07:07 BST

Sandino Araico Sánchez wrote:
> Yum is marked unstable in Gentoo. It works sometimes but i got used to
> unpacking the guest image and running a script that creates the config
> directory and the config file... It takes me about 20 minutes to setup a
> new vservar and have it running....

What config file? You're also aware of vserver ... build -m template, yes?

20 minutes does seem like a long time, especially if it doesn't include
downloading the guest. What else is your script doing?

> Yum in Gentoo is sensitive to upgrades of dependencies; it breaks
> easily.... Whenever Yum breaks It's easier to unpack a guest image than
> revdep-rebuild.....

So, pin the few packages it does depend on? Seems to me like you're
unnecessarily complicating the procedure.

> I have used debootstrap in Gentoo to create Debian vservers and It works
> just fine.

As it should. It's just a simple shellscript.

> About Yum in Debian I don't know about It's stability status but I have
> only seen it working few times....

Oh? I don't recall hearing about any problems.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson