[Vserver] resource management

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Fri 01 Dec 2006 - 18:52:27 GMT

suddenly out of nowhere, on a brand new 1 month old dual opteron machine we
started getting system lockups and crashes.. I managed to track it down to a
bad block in the email mailboxes.. the email server, of necessity for now
must run on the host since it uses 140ip addresses. eventually we will move
everyone to namespace and i can put it into a vserver..

now on to my question.

we have a TON of open files I am sure. Presently there are 20 guests running,
some, like a web server has 260 domain on it and it is quite busy. Are we
approaching or exceeding some kind of system resource limit maybe?

I never get to see the console since the server is 1000 miles away, but this
morning someone read a msg that seemd to be information only. I have no clue
what this means: Kernel Direct Mapping Table up to 100,000,000 @8000:d800.

Any clues? Any advice how to set higher resources in the host system if this
is becoming a problem? I have never had to do this before but also have not
worked on a system so large. We are only about half done. I expect there to
be approx 50-60 vservers on this machine with at least 15-20 of them very
busy.

The host install is 100% stock Gentoo with no modifications other than what is
needed to run vservers. The kernel is 2.6.18-vs2.0.2-gentoo-r8 with
util-vserver 0.30.211. Everything is compiled 2006.1 gcc 4.1.1 and
glibc .2.4-r4:2.2.

The disk subsystem is a SATA2 hardware raid5 with all partitions except root
boot and swap, using LVM2. At present there are 27 mount points used.

--
Chuck