Re: [Vserver] resource management

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Fri 01 Dec 2006 - 22:38:46 GMT

On Fri December 1 2006 12:52, Chuck wrote:
> suddenly out of nowhere, on a brand new 1 month old dual opteron machine we
> started getting system lockups and crashes.. I managed to track it down to a
> bad block in the email mailboxes.. the email server, of necessity for now
> must run on the host since it uses 140ip addresses. eventually we will move
> everyone to namespace and i can put it into a vserver..
>
> now on to my question.
>
> we have a TON of open files I am sure. Presently there are 20 guests running,
> some, like a web server has 260 domain on it and it is quite busy. Are we
> approaching or exceeding some kind of system resource limit maybe?
>
> I never get to see the console since the server is 1000 miles away, but this
> morning someone read a msg that seemd to be information only. I have no clue
> what this means: Kernel Direct Mapping Table up to 100,000,000 @8000:d800.
>
> Any clues? Any advice how to set higher resources in the host system if this
> is becoming a problem? I have never had to do this before but also have not
> worked on a system so large. We are only about half done. I expect there to
> be approx 50-60 vservers on this machine with at least 15-20 of them very
> busy.
>
> The host install is 100% stock Gentoo with no modifications other than what is
> needed to run vservers. The kernel is 2.6.18-vs2.0.2-gentoo-r8 with

if the above kernel version is 2.6.18.2 as kernel.org numbers them,
replace it with 2.6.18.3 or newer.

The kernel.org-2.6.18.3 has some page handling fixes in it.
The 2.6.18.2 can be put into a situation where it does not properly use swap.
Note: 'stock <Distribution Name>' does not mean an unmodified kernel.

Mike