Re: [Vserver] resource management

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Sat 02 Dec 2006 - 00:41:49 GMT

On Friday 01 December 2006 17:31, John Alberts wrote:

we sometimes get peaks for a few seconds to load averages of 8 or so but this
is only when the list server is spewing out bursts of messages. other than
that, normal averages are below 0.5 with average momentary peaks to 1.0..

i just looked now and this is the current status:

load average: 0.34, 0.20, 0.18

a vmstat snap shows this at approx the same time as the load average taken

valkyrie / # vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
 r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
 0 0 232 2221976 365020 475484 0 0 482 257 79 17 4 5 87
5

unless many guests are doing heavy disk io, we never even come close to what i
would call making the machine do more than loaf.

my worry is running out of file handles or something of that nature.

> I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question.
> What is your cpu utilization with that many guests? I know that
> vserver is extremely easy on resources; however, I think on the wiki
> it says that some tests show 1-2% resource utilization per guest os.
> with 20 guest running, that's 20-40% resource utilization just for
> running empty guests. Of course, your not running empty guests (and
> you said some of the guests are heavily used), so I would expect your
> server to have very high resource usage.
>
> It may also help someone diagnose your problem by showing the output of
vmstat.

> On 12/1/06, Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net> wrote:
> > suddenly out of nowhere, on a brand new 1 month old dual opteron machine
we
> > started getting system lockups and crashes.. I managed to track it down to
> > bad block in the email mailboxes.. the email server, of necessity for now
> > must run on the host since it uses 140ip addresses. eventually we will
move
> > everyone to namespace and i can put it into a vserver..
> >
> > now on to my question.
> >
> > we have a TON of open files I am sure. Presently there are 20 guests
running,
> > some, like a web server has 260 domain on it and it is quite busy. Are we
> > approaching or exceeding some kind of system resource limit maybe?
> >
> > I never get to see the console since the server is 1000 miles away, but
this
> > morning someone read a msg that seemd to be information only. I have no
clue
> > what this means: Kernel Direct Mapping Table up to 100,000,000
@8000:d800.

> > Any clues? Any advice how to set higher resources in the host system if
this
> > is becoming a problem? I have never had to do this before but also have
not
> > worked on a system so large. We are only about half done. I expect there
> > be approx 50-60 vservers on this machine with at least 15-20 of them very
> > busy.
> >
> > The host install is 100% stock Gentoo with no modifications other than
what is
> > needed to run vservers. The kernel is 2.6.18-vs2.0.2-gentoo-r8 with
> > util-vserver 0.30.211. Everything is compiled 2006.1 gcc 4.1.1 and
> > glibc .2.4-r4:2.2.
> >
> > The disk subsystem is a SATA2 hardware raid5 with all partitions except
root
> > boot and swap, using LVM2. At present there are 27 mount points used.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Chuck

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book