[Vserver] Re: [Devel] Container Test Campaign

From: Clément Calmels <clement.calmels_at_fr.ibm.com>
Date: Tue 04 Jul 2006 - 10:42:50 BST

Hi,

> 1.1 It would be nice to run vmstat (say, vmstat 10) for the duration of
> the tests, and put the vmstat output logs to the site.

Our benchmark framework allows us to use oprofile during test...
couldn't it be better than vmstat?

> Basically, the detailed description of a process would be nice to have,
> in order to catch possible problems. There are a lot of tiny things
> which are influencing the results. For example, in linux kernels 2.4
> binding the NIC IRQ to a single CPU on an SMP system boosts network
> performance by about 15%! Sure this is not relevant here, it's just an
> example.

I agree. Actually, I always try to use 'default' configuration or
installation but I will try to describe the tests in details.

> 1.3 Would be nice to have diffs between different kernel configs.

The different configs used are available in the lxc site. You will
notice that I used a minimal config file for most of the test, but for
Openvz I had to use the one I found in the OpenVZ site because I faced
kernel build error (some CONFIG_NET... issues). I think that the
differences are more dealing with network stuff.

> For example, the tbench test is probably failed to finish because it
> hits the limits for privvmpages, tcpsndbuf and tcprcvbuf. I have
> increased the limits for those parameters and the test was finished
> successfully. Also, dbench test could hit the disk quota limit for a VE.
> Some more info is available at http://wiki.openvz.org/Resource_management

I already used this page. I had to increase 'diskinodes' and 'diskspace'
resources in order to run some test properly (the disk errors were more
selfexplicit).
I'm wondering why a default 'guest' creation implies some resources
restrictions? Couldn't the resources be unlimited? I understand the need
for resource management, but the default values look a little bit
tiny...

> 2.2 For OpenVZ specifically, it would be nice to collect
> /proc/user_beancounters output before and after the test.

For sure... I will take a look at how integrating it in our automatic
test environment.

Best regards,

--
Clément Calmels <clement.calmels@fr.ibm.com>