[Vserver] Re: [Devel] Container Test Campaign

From: Kir Kolyshkin <kir_at_openvz.org>
Date: Mon 03 Jul 2006 - 09:14:55 BST

Clement,

Thanks for sharing the results! A few comments...

(1) General

1.1 It would be nice to run vmstat (say, vmstat 10) for the duration of
the tests, and put the vmstat output logs to the site.

1.2 Can you tell how you run the tests. I am particularly interested in
- how many iterations do you do?
- what result do you choose from those iterations?
- how reproducible are the results?
- are you rebooting the box between the iterations?
- are you reformatting the partition used for filesystem testing?
- what settings are you using (such as kernel vm params)?
- did you stop cron daemons before running the test?
- are you using the same test binaries across all the participants?
- etc. etc...

Basically, the detailed description of a process would be nice to have,
in order to catch possible problems. There are a lot of tiny things
which are influencing the results. For example, in linux kernels 2.4
binding the NIC IRQ to a single CPU on an SMP system boosts network
performance by about 15%! Sure this is not relevant here, it's just an
example.

1.3 Would be nice to have diffs between different kernel configs.

(2) OpenVZ specifics

2.1 Concerning the tests running inside an OpenVZ VE, the problem is
there is a (default) set of resource limits applied to each VE.
Basically one should tailor those limits to suit the applications
running, OR, for the purpose of testing, just set those limits to some
very high values so they will never be reached.

For example, the tbench test is probably failed to finish because it
hits the limits for privvmpages, tcpsndbuf and tcprcvbuf. I have
increased the limits for those parameters and the test was finished
successfully. Also, dbench test could hit the disk quota limit for a VE.

Some more info is available at http://wiki.openvz.org/Resource_management

2.2 For OpenVZ specifically, it would be nice to collect
/proc/user_beancounters output before and after the test.