Re: [Vserver] Re: [Devel] Container Test Campaign

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 02 Jul 2006 - 16:32:29 BST

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:28:06PM +0200, Clément Calmels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A first round about virtualisation benchmarks can be found here:
> http://lxc.sourceforge.net/bench/

very interesting results, tx ...

> These benchmarks run with vanilla kernels and the patched versions of
> well know virtualisation solutions: VServer and OpenVZ. Some benchs
> also run inside the virtual 'guest' but we ran into trouble trying to
> run some of them... probably virtual 'guest' configuration issues...
> we will trying to fix them... The metacluster migration solution
> (formely a Meiosys company produt) was added as it seems that the
> checkpoint/restart topic is close to the virtualisation's one (OpenVZ
> now provides a checkpoint/restart capability).

from the tests:
 "For benchs inside real 'guest' nodes (OpenVZ/VServer) you should
  take into account that the FS tested is not the 'host' node one's."

at least for Linux-VServer it should not be hard to avoid the
chroot/filesystem namespace part and have it run on the host fs.
a bind mount into the guest might do the trick too, if you need
help to accomplish that, just let me know ...