Re: [Vserver] VServer logo? [scanned]

From: Guenther Fuchs <vserver_at_muh.at>
Date: Tue 10 Jan 2006 - 20:31:05 GMT

Hi there,

on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 8:04:50 PM there was posted:

VW> This seems to become a logo contest... ;)

Looks like ;-)

VW> I suggest to start a regular logo competition with a fixed
VW> submission date for all drafts, ...

Good idea, and I guess this would bring it up to the best results.

If Herbert agrees, I (as the "initiator" of this thread, but maybe
someone else too?) would also call out a small price in form of Amazon
(or whatever) credit for the winning three and also a "top 10 logos
voted by the community hall of fame" page to honor the best 10 logos,
which also takes them for free download and usage under GPL (or
whatever appropriate license, IANAL).

VW> a defined submission process (by email/HTTP upload/etc.)

For that I would offer a email to maybe myself and put them online on
the "muh" server, adding a vote script from date of "last entry date"
up to one week, so there's a clear schedule as well for that.

VW> rules for a ballot committee (certain persons? an open community
VW> voting? opoll on the ml?)
VW> and the aspects to assess, etc..

I'd suggest a first "community vote" and later a top-10 "committee"
choosing the top three out of the 10.

VW> I would recommend a 4-stage process:
VW>
VW> 1. Open community poll, every person may elect its 3 favorites and
VW> gives reasons, why he/she chose those 3 drafts.

Yes and no to that - I'd rather think a closed poll/voting with
showing results only upon end of votes will make it easiest to enable
anonymous votes without easy ceating upon "my logo is not on top"
results ;-)

VW> 2. The top 10 logos are published and get in extensive review and
VW> public opinion, especially also for legal reasons such as
VW> trademark right or evident similarities with other logos or
VW> artwork. This should be done by the whole community.

Okay.

VW> 3. A chosen committee assesses the top 10 logos in respect to defined,
VW> weighted common criteria (personal view on layout, symbolism, recall
VW> value, uniqueness, known possible legal problems, etc.) in consideration
VW> of the results from stage 2.

VW> 4. The results of stage 3 are evaluated, if the choice is not clear cut,
VW> a second open discussion on the top candidates may be initiated and
VW> results be evaluated by the committee again.

Not too complicated? I'd rather let "just" the top-3 choice up to the
"jury" - and would guess a little more who to place into it ;-)

VW> [5. We have a logo.]

VW> So the question would only be how to choose the committee and how many
VW> members it should have. Persons could either be proposed and elected by
VW> the community or the maintainers pick up persons or you take the hall of
VW> fame people or whatever you can imagine... ;)

I would prefer "propsal and election" - and for me it has to be clear,
that neither of the arts is to be in the jury.

--
regards 'n greez,
Guenther Fuchs