Re: [Vserver] network config with VLANs

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 06 Jan 2006 - 15:47:59 GMT

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:38:55PM +0100, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have some problems with "vlans" and vservers..
>
> I have a box that has one physical Interface that hosts two VLANs,
> both are official Addresses and reachable from the Internet. The main
> host hast conectivity on both networks .
>
> 1) What should I but in "interfaces/0/dev" ? eth0 or vlan1 fails,
> I get a message: creation of VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD devices is not
> supported; please create them before starting the vserver and use the
> 'nodev' flag then
>
> When I put "nodev" in the "dev" file I get a warning - I put an empty
> file "nodev" in the interface directory - seems to work, is this
> correct?

if the IP on the interface is already there, then you
do not specify 'dev' just 'nodev' as the tools are not
concerned with the IP creation ...

btw, using eth0.10 or similar for vlan interface should
work quite fine, for bonding and normal interfaces

> 2) I have a problem with routing - if the vserver guest has only
> addresses in one of the networks, I cannot ping across the networks
> because the hosts routing table show up in the guest, but the devices
> shonw there for routing dont exists. I am fiddling around with
> iptables and got some aspects to work, but not all .... is there
> another trick ?

http://archives.linux-vserver.org/200311/0470.html

HTH,
Herbert