Re: [Vserver] can i install fedora core 4 in a vserver using the cds

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Fri 23 Dec 2005 - 09:56:37 GMT

On Thu December 22 2005 22:21, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 08:37:17AM +0500, Mustafa Abbasi wrote:
> > > - - - snip - - -
> >
> > i have downlaoded a mandeake tar from
> > http://free.oszoo.org/download.html.
> > i tried to install install it but i got a few error.
> > could you tell me how to create an empty vserver so that i can copy
> > the mandrake installation in the tar over to that file by mounting the
> > image.
>
> vserver <name> build -m skeleton --context 42 ....
> (see http://linux-vserver.org/alpha+util-vserver for
> some examples and most options)
>
> replacing the 'empty' guest dir by your untarred
> mandrake guest should do the trick ...

Mustafa,

I can confirm that sequence will work for Gentoo.
It should work for any distribution, It is just the
details that differ.

What you have so far...

1) You used the vserver script to build a skeleton.
Presuming the util-vserver tools are installed without
any special options...

You now have a directory: /vservers/<name>
Which will become the root directory of your guest.

Also, the tool has created its own configuration
information for the guest-to-be outside of that
directory tree.

2) Your have the distribution's --initial tarball--
Whatever that distribution calls it.

Untar that tarball so that /vservers/<name>
is the root directory of whatever is in the
tarball.
Probably, just "cd /vservers/<name>"
followed by the specific untar command required
by that --initial tarball--

That should result in enough of the distribution's
system that the distribution can self-install itself.

Anything that was over written by untarring that
--initial tarball-- should be alright with vserver.

What you have at this point may not run under
vserver - but it should be able to update itself
into a --base-system-- that will.

Look through your distribution's install manual
for the part that begins with something similar
to:

chroot /vserver/<name> /bin/bash
ldconfig (or some script that does that)
- - - perhaps some other "do this first" commands - - -
- - - like setting up passwords and networking - - -

Continue with the instructions with the directions for:
"To bootstrap the base system"

Those directions should result in a base (minimal)
installation of the distribution inside of the chroot
that you are in.

- - - perhaps some "do this after" commands - - -

You should be able to exit from the chroot at this
point and what you have should run under vserver...
vserver <name> start
vserver <name> enter

- - - -

It is just all of the details that are a pain -
the "big picture" is easy.

Mike