Re: [Vserver] [kir@openvz.org: Re: [Users] VServer vs OpenVZ]

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 06 Dec 2005 - 15:52:00 GMT

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 03:45:42PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Any counter-comments, from a VServer strengths point of view?
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Kir Kolyshkin <kir@openvz.org> -----
>
> From: Kir Kolyshkin <kir@openvz.org>
> Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:17:18 +0300
> To: users@openvz.org
> Subject: Re: [Users] VServer vs OpenVZ
>
> My view of subject is definitely biased towards OpenVZ, but still:
> there are areas where OpenVZ is definitely more developed than
> VServer. Let me concentrate on three of these.
>
> First is stability. By sticking to old (currently 2.6.8) kernel and
> backporting all the bug fixes, security fixes and hardware driver
> updates, we make OpenVZ kernel very stable. We do a lot of kernel
> testing in house, including stress testing.

well, as I don't know anything about the stability
of OpenVZ, I can only refer to the companies using
linux-vserver in production:

http://linux-vserver.org/VServer+Hosting

> Second is resource management. There are a lot of resources that can
> be abused from inside VServer guest or OpenVZ VPS, leading to at least
> DoS; some of those resources are not under control of traditional
> UNIX means such as ulimit. In OpenVZ we have User Beancounters (UBC
> for short), which accounts and limits about 20 of such resources
> (including IPC objects, various kernel buffers etc).

see here for the resource limits supported by now

http://linux-vserver.org/Resource+Limits

limits get added when there is a need ...

> Third is virtualized network stack. AFAIK VServer's ngnet is not yet
> ready for prime time yet, while OpenVZ's venet is here. Without fully
> virtualized network stack people are experiencing problems like this
> one:
> http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/200511/0165.html
> http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/200511/0189.html

ngnet was delayed several times because it is not
really necessary to have and of course network
virtualization adds overhead and 'might' affect
stability (as the kernel networking is changing
very heavily with every release)