From: Stephen Frost (sfrost_at_snowman.net)
Date: Tue 28 Dec 2004 - 01:28:45 GMT

* Hans Ulrich Niedermann (vserver_at_n-dimensional.de) wrote:
> Stephen Frost <sfrost_at_snowman.net> writes:
> Putting the legacy stuff into a separate legacy package would
> help new users a lot by reducing confusion as to what is legacy and
> what is not.

Alright, then maybe a -legacy or some such package, or just a really
stern warning at the start of all the -legacy stuff saying "this is
legacy, you shouldn't be using it", or just don't distribute it at all
(my personal favorite).

> On my Debian Sarge system, these packages depend on the virtual
> package linux-kernel-log-daemon:
>
> syslog-ng
> socklog-run
> metalog
>
> So there should be some package for installation on guest systems
> which provides linux-kernel-log-daemon.
>
> However, as there seems to be a concensus that there should be nothing
> vserver specific to be installed on a vserver guest, it cannot be
> "util-vserver" with its tools which provides linux-kernel-log-daemon,
> but there must be a separate package.

Well, syslog-ng, at least, works just fine in that role. Of course, if
the kernel is changed to provide a link that's just empty then anything
will work. So, I don't think util-vserver needs to or should care about
it.

        Stephen