From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 28 Dec 2004 - 01:41:56 GMT

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:28:45PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Hans Ulrich Niedermann (vserver_at_n-dimensional.de) wrote:
> > Stephen Frost <sfrost_at_snowman.net> writes:
> > Putting the legacy stuff into a separate legacy package would
> > help new users a lot by reducing confusion as to what is legacy and
> > what is not.
>
> Alright, then maybe a -legacy or some such package, or just a really
> stern warning at the start of all the -legacy stuff saying "this is
> legacy, you shouldn't be using it", or just don't distribute it at all
> (my personal favorite).

the thing is, many people have existing 2.4 vservers
and want to see 'some' migration path, and telling them
"sorry, you are out of luck" isn't the way we want to
go there ... so the legacy stuff _is_ important ...

having a separate package (as with rpm, see my list)
is a good idea IMHO, because it allows to remove those
tools once the legacy vservers have been converted

> > On my Debian Sarge system, these packages depend on the virtual
> > package linux-kernel-log-daemon:
> >
> > syslog-ng
> > socklog-run
> > metalog
> >
> > So there should be some package for installation on guest systems
> > which provides linux-kernel-log-daemon.
> >
> > However, as there seems to be a concensus that there should be nothing
> > vserver specific to be installed on a vserver guest, it cannot be
> > "util-vserver" with its tools which provides linux-kernel-log-daemon,
> > but there must be a separate package.
>
> Well, syslog-ng, at least, works just fine in that role. Of course, if
> the kernel is changed to provide a link that's just empty then anything
> will work. So, I don't think util-vserver needs to or should care about
> it.

IMHO it would be a natural thing to _not_ mix syslogd
and klogd into the same script/package, because they
_are_ very different in purpose and functionality ...

one is directly talking to the kernel and receiving
system wide (read host) information, while the other
is a pure userspace daemon receiving just userspace
messages ...

so I really wonder why both ended up in the same script
on most distros ...

if this is the case in debian too (I read various
diversive statements about that in irc and this ml)
then this should be fixed in the distro (but I'm
realistic enough that this will not happen soon if at
all, so we might do another hack, like we do for the
broken bind)