From: Martin List-Petersen (martin_at_list-petersen.net)
Date: Tue 10 Aug 2004 - 11:44:40 BST

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 10:51, Warren Togami wrote:
> Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> > I've enabled the whitelist on the mailinglist today. Initially everybody has to authorise themselfes
> > (on the first mail), just for my laziness :o)
> >
> > This should get rid of the rest spam, that from time to time hits the list.
> >

> This is no different in purpose than allowing only subscribers to post,
> but yes this should cut down the spam.

Actually it is different in purpose:

the whitelist software can handle recipient_delimiters (or in this case
sender_delimiters, seperated by "+"), so that people who use one time
email-addresses and likewise not have to authorise every time they send
a mail. Also this whitelist can cover more than one mailinglist if
needed.

Second thing is that you still don't have to subscribe to post to the
list. You just have to authorise your email-address, which is very much
simpler. Not everybody wants to subscribe each and every email-address
they have and diable mail delivery for those.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen