From: Martin List-Petersen (martin_at_list-petersen.net)
Date: Tue 10 Aug 2004 - 11:27:14 BST

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 10:48, Warren Togami wrote:
> This is not a valid argument, because the list already would accept the
> above mentioned type of mail. Allowing posts only from subscribers cuts
> out 99.9% spam instantly, while manual moderation done by volunteers can
> take care of the rest of non-subscribed posts.
>
> If I were to run this mailing list, I would use:
>
> * Subscriber only posting.
> * spamassassin (with auto-whitelisting and bayesian) to filter
> subscriber posts into the mailman moderation queue.
> * Antivirus to drop virus mail instantly.
> * A few volunteers with list moderator passwords to take care of
> non-subscriber and spamassassin flagged posts.

If you have checked the archives this list has allways (as long as it has been list.linux-vserver.org) had
spamassassin with bayesian filters, antivirus (updated 4 times a day) and different other measures.

spamassassin however is not as aggressive set up as you might on your personal server, since the server is
hosting more than just linux-vserver stuff.

Thus all viruses and most spam has been caught, until the spam got more agressive over the last 6 months.
Until yesterday, where i introduced a more smart whitelisting feature, 90% of the spam that would have hit
the list never did, because of spamassassin.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen