From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Mon 01 Mar 2004 - 21:07:04 GMT

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Sam Vilain wrote:

> Turning off the modules you don't use is a minefield, there is no
> simple answer. A good rule of thumb is to use `lspci' and `lsmod' and
> make sure that for each piece of hardware that identified that you
> care about, you have a driver compiled.

Thanks Sam. I was thinking of, at least, lspc but lsmod will show what's
loaded at any given moment.

> It's good practice to preserve known working .config files for given
> hardware configurations; copying the old config in to the vserver
> patched tree and using `make oldconfig'.

Once I get a kernel compiled on some fairly stable/consistant hardware I
will do this.

> Check in /boot, your running kernel config might have been put there
> by your distribution. Otherwise, if you had a kernel with /proc
> config support enabled it could be in /proc/config.gz or similar.
> If not you're pretty much SOL.

Yup there is for the original RHL kernel. But I just used Jacques'
tarballs so there isn't one for the vserver kernel I'm using.

Still I should be able to figure out what I want compiled into the kernel
and what as modules (everything -- within reason -- else). Maybe looking
at some of the stuff for embedded systems will help me figure out what can
be trimmed. (Does this seem reasonable for vservers?)

Rod