From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 16 Dec 2003 - 07:43:35 GMT

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 12:02:15PM +0700, John Francis Lee wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I have looked at the script
> install-rh8.0
> and decided I will try
> install-rh8.0 minimum
>
> I have just a vserver 'host' installed now.
>
> I have a separate filesystem mounted on /vservers.
>
> I guess that I will end up with two "linux systems" :
> one under /
> the one unshared, separate vserver 'host'
> one under /verservers
> the one shared, via hard links,
> among my vservers

/ might not be the 'optimal' place for a
vserver, which should if possible reside on
a separate partition, but it should be possible
with recent tools (which allow to configure the
path) or symlinks ...

> Is this correct?
>
> Can I then update/add/'unify' those rpms I want to share among my
> vservers to the second, shared, linux system?

given that, two vserver lie on the same partition
and they have common rpms, then you can 'unify'
those vservers (or to be more precise the static
part of specific or all rpms), creating immutable
but removeable hardlinks (that is what unification
does) ...

> And update/add those rpms or tarballs I want not to share to the
> individual vservers?

that is the idea behind the ILI (Immutable Link
Invert), to allow removal but prohibit modification
so, it _is_ possible to update or just remove a
package for a unified vserver, but you cannot modify
the unified files, though you can remove and recreate
them with different 'not unified' contents.

> Do I understand what I'm doing :) ?

hmm, good question, time will tell ...

> Thanks for your help.

you are welcome