From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 16 Dec 2003 - 07:35:50 GMT

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:52:10PM -0500, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have upgraded my versers' kernel to the 1.21 patch and I've come
> across a problem with 127.0.0.1. (I'm upgrading from version 14).

some things have changed since 0.14, multi ip
support was added, bind to IPADDR_ANY was added,
and some security issues where addressed ...

> After the upgrade, connections to 127.0.0.1 fails :

local loopback isn't virtualized yet, and therfore
depriciated, jack is working on a solution right
now, and I guess it will be in the next release,
but I can assure you, it isn't strictly required
to get a working setup ...

> francis_at_Woody:~$ ssh localhost
> ssh: connect to address 127.0.0.1 port 22: Connection refused
>
> whereas connection to the vserver's "external" IP address, it works.

that _is_ the way this is currently handled,
for sshd for example setting X11UseLocalhost no
solves the forwarding issue ...

> I've found that if I add explicitely 127.0.0.1 after to the IPROOT
> configuration variable, it works. I do not know if this is the expected
> behaviour. (127.0.0.1 seemed to be map automatically beforehand).

that is one solution, but it gives you more troubles
than it does good, (security issues, shared loopback)
but it might work in cornercases ...

HTH,
Herbert