From: Martin List-Petersen (martin_at_list-petersen.dk)
Date: Mon 09 Jun 2003 - 17:36:11 BST

I think we have got to divide here and that's why it will get VERY complicated to
make a documentation, that is allround.

We've got several groups and purposes for vservers here:

1) Hosting:

We've got a couple of guys, companies, whatever that are providing hosting on vservers.
They give their customers a vserver with full access beyond 2 limitations:
- you can't change the kernel
- you can't change the ip

Unifying can be interesting here, if you run the same distribution in every vserver. It
depends on how much work you will spend on doing this.

(i'm part of this group)

2) Flexibility

Next group is running different hosts in different vservers. For the easiness of moving hosts.
Means, if you have a too high load on a host, you can tar a couple of vservers down, untar them
on a new host and you are running. Problem solved, no big problem.

Unifying could be a space saver, but how expensive are harddisks ?

(i'm part of this group)

3) Testing

People are running different distributions in vservers for testing purposes.
Unifying is totally useless here, since every vserver is a different distribution.

(i'm part of this group)

................ And thousands of other methods of using vservers. And that's exactly the point,
why it is so complicated to make ONE howto to solve them all.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot dk

--
        One day it was announced that the young monk Kyogen had reached
an enlightened state.  Much impressed by this news, several of his peers

Generated on Mon 09 Jun 2003 - 18:05:51 BST by hypermail 2.1.3