From: ragnar_at_this.is
Date: Mon 09 Jun 2003 - 03:37:30 BST

Hello,

For Debian ......
With all the options and ways of doing vservers
one of the most importand things is probaly the upgrading.

> > > Unifying is for some people an issue, for others not.

After thinking about it for about a year :-) I do think it is worth doing
and trying to set things up so as to use it.
i.e. work from the assumption that one would /should.

> > unifying doesn't make always sense.

But for a normal vDebian setup there should be a tested way
to install, config, upgrade, mirror and move to another host.

> > The debian-newvserver.sh assumes that there is a good
> > connection to the internet because it has to download the
> > base packages at least once.

I use a proxy-cache.

> > vserver-clones with debian-newvserver.sh
> > .... configuring will take interactive input.

But some of the questions are relevant.
I have also played arround with the package selection
i.e. Packages to add / remove from the base defaults

> I don't use the debian-newvserver.sh script at all. I used debootstrap
> (installation alternative 2 in the README.Debian file) to create a
> vserver template, which i tarred down. Installation is happening by
> untarring that in an empty directory. Job done. If i wanted to upgrade
> it to newer packages, i would have to untar that, chroot, run apt-get
> update && apt-get upgrade and tar it down again. Issue solved.

Cool, with a little scripting to change some configs that sounds good.

> > > The biggest problem is (just my 2 pence) getting started, how to
> > > run what distro in the vserver and understanding the concept and
> > > the limitations of vserver. Mostly i think we need a howto for each
> > > and every distribution in general (on the host, but mostly on the
> > > vserver side), because each distro has it's specialities.

For me the upgrading and administration
of many debian servers is most relevant.

Again, things like mounting /bin "read only" for a vserver could
some times be usefull (more safe) but how would that work with
installing and upgrading?

It would be good to work out "the Debian way" to do all this and
then have some info on task based exceptions.

Regards
Ragnar

Generated on Mon 09 Jun 2003 - 03:59:10 BST by hypermail 2.1.3