From: Martin List-Petersen (martin_at_list-petersen.dk)
Date: Fri 06 Jun 2003 - 21:18:35 BST

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 21:08, joel2002_at_gmx.ch wrote:
> > Well there was brief thread on another list for Jacques' very fine
> > Linuxconf and a book. I know I've promised I'd provide some documentation
>
> Sure, but you just told the problem ;). People like to use it with almost
> all kind of distributions
> (linuxconf seems to be very red-hatish, and as we know other distributions
> also have other
> package managers (vserver-tools are built for rpm if I get it right).

There are Debian packages also in the official Debian tree.

> Of course it would be great if we could find a works-for-all solution, but I think a
> howto-do-it-to-work-for-all documentation would be fine too ;). What about a wikiweb (or how are those
> interactive pages called again?)? There we could provide informations/documentations
> for the capabilities, distribution-specific installations (...) with user-enhanced input?

A lot of people use different distributions for their vservers (i use
Debian as root / Debian, Slackware, Redhat and in the future also
Mandrake, SuSE and Gentoo in vservers).

Unifying is for some people an issue, for others not. And if you don't
care about unifying to save space, the README.Debian of the Debian
packages is more than enough to get going there.

The biggest problem is (just my 2 pence) getting started, how to run
what distro in the vserver and understanding the concept and the
limitations of vserver. Mostly i think we need a howto for each and
every distribution in general (on the host, but mostly on the vserver
side), because each distro has it's specialities.

Besides, if i remember correctly, Klavs Klavsen was writing on a Gentoo
howto for vserver.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot dk