From: joel2002_at_gmx.ch
Date: Fri 06 Jun 2003 - 21:42:44 BST

Heya

> There are Debian packages also in the official Debian tree.

Yes, but yet only in the testing/unstable part. That's why my howto is
named stabledebian+vserver - it works with the sources. What I meant
was that there is no fine solution for optimizing the vserver with the
dpkg-package management. When using rpm you can vunify to save space,
and now with the little script I wrote you can mass-upgrade the vservers
when using the dpkg-system. So there is now a choice between a
space-saving system and a mass-upgradeable vserver-distribution.

> Unifying is for some people an issue, for others not.

Absolutely. It's also a question for what they are using vserver. I use it
to have dedicated servers, others use it to try new distributions...
unifying
doesn't make always sense.

> And if you don't
> care about unifying to save space, the README.Debian of the Debian
> packages is more than enough to get going there.

The debian-newvserver.sh assumes that there is a good connection to
the internet because it has to download the base packages at least once.
I described this way too to install a reference-server. But when you want to
install all vserver-clones with debian-newvserver.sh you always have to do
it manually because the configuring will take interactive input.

> The biggest problem is (just my 2 pence) getting started, how to run
> what distro in the vserver and understanding the concept and the
> limitations of vserver. Mostly i think we need a howto for each and
> every distribution in general (on the host, but mostly on the vserver
> side), because each distro has it's specialities.

Ok. What we know for sure is that we need more detailed informations.