From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon 03 Feb 2003 - 15:07:47 GMT

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Mehmet Avcioglu wrote:

Hello Mehmet,

> Is it just me or is the newvserver script doesn't work at all?

Unfortunately I can't answer this, although I can't recall many other saying
they'd experienced problems--Jacques is the one who knows that script and I
think it's tied in with the RedHat/RPM layout. It works by duplicating the
existing filesystem layout.

If you just want to get some vservers, up and running quickly without hassle
you can boot Debian on them (which will install itself directly off the FTP
sites); and should work on any Debian or RPM-based host:

  http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/debian/

(Read the README).

> Whatever I tried, it either gives an error (to fast for me to read) and
> exits or gives an error and exits after copying couple directories.

I'm not sure if the RedHat newvserver script messes around with the
file-descriptors, but you may be just able to redirect the *error* messages
to a file:

  # newvserver [...] 2> ~/newvserver-error.log

If it runs non-interactively (I forget), you can direct both stderr and
stdout to a file:

  # newvserver [...] 2>&1 > ~/newvserver-error.log

You can also pause the output (scroll-lock) with `Ctrl-S' and unpause the
scrolling again with `Ctrl-Q' whilst it is running.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB