From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 29 Oct 2002 - 12:11:41 GMT

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:41:20PM -0500, Dave wrote:
> One of the biggest features of vserver is that the software works out of
> the box without the need of patches.
>
> I think this is the way it should be for administration tools too. If we
> start tweaking software for fit the kernel design, it means the kernel
> design isn't so good.

forgive me, if I may sound harsh, but maybe you should
a) take a closer look on the issue/subject
b) read the fine pages I put up ...
c) switch the brain on (sorry about that)

To make it clear, I totally agree with you that new
features within the kernel should have no impact on
existing userland tools ...

but be so nice and explain to me the following:

- if the quota tools are somewhat badly designed to
  only recognize TWO KINDS of quota (user/group)
  how would it be possible to design the kernel
  extension, to NOT REQUIRE CHANGING the tools?

- why do you think, it is required to modify the
  administration tools? If you don't need the new
  features, almost nothing has changed, and the
  whole thing is transparent within a vserver

> As I see it, quota tools are just using ioctls. They should not have to
> understand the fact that they're running in a virtual context. The
> kernel is the only point where the context should be a "known entity".

this is right, please contact the quota-tools team
(I already did, and I hope they will respond)

> A better design will simplify the work of maintaining the ctx patch in
> the future. We won't need to keep up to date with the userland tools
> too.

you will always have to keep up with userland tools
as long as you want to administer your virtual servers ..
(think about it)

> For example I don't mind if the context has to be fixed for each
> vserver, if this was the price for not having to patch userland tools.
> If we combine the 16bit uid + 16bit context, there're still 64K servers
> to be created before we run out of "virtuals" on the same machine.
> Right?

this is exactly what is done, please read the fine pages ...

PS: I hope you do not take this personal ...

--
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
   -- Mark Twain (1835-1910)