From: Dave (djp_at_comm.it)
Date: Tue 29 Oct 2002 - 17:41:20 GMT

One of the biggest features of vserver is that the software works out of
the box without the need of patches.

I think this is the way it should be for administration tools too. If we
start tweaking software for fit the kernel design, it means the kernel
design isn't so good.

As I see it, quota tools are just using ioctls. They should not have to
understand the fact that they're running in a virtual context. The
kernel is the only point where the context should be a "known entity".

A better design will simplify the work of maintaining the ctx patch in
the future. We won't need to keep up to date with the userland tools
too.

For example I don't mind if the context has to be fixed for each
vserver, if this was the price for not having to patch userland tools.
If we combine the 16bit uid + 16bit context, there're still 64K servers
to be created before we run out of "virtuals" on the same machine.
Right?

Dave.

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3