Re: [vserver] funding the 5.10 vserver goal

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue 13 Jul 2021 - 00:23:32 BST

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 04:25:37PM +0200, Romain Rivière wrote:
> Hi,

> On 12/07/2021 13:34, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>>> One more question to Herbert, would that effort guarantee a VS patch
>>> that would be maintained/updated as long as the 5.10/5.11 kernel?
>>> If so, I would be OK to contribute a bit more than my original idea.

>> Till now, I've always maintained/updated a patch as long as the
>> kernel branch was still alive. I do not plan to change that for
>> 5.10/5.11.

> Please forgive me if this sounds "pushy", my intent is not to
> belittle your efforts but just to clarify what to expect from
> this funding effort :)

Nah, no problem there.

> At the moment, the latest patch available against 4.9 is 9.5
> months old.

> I checked it against 4.9.272 last month and it has a few
> rejected hunks, although I haven't investigated their severity.

It is quite simple, when I get a report that the patch doesn't
apply anymore, then I'll update the patch.

> I fully understand that a new kernel patchlevel doesn't always
> warrant a new VS patch.

> But could we expect the failed hunks to be investigated and
> fixed during the kernel branch's lifetime?

I also update patches when somebody asks nicely for a specific
version (even an older one), so yes, you can expect those patches
to get updated during the kernel branch's lifetime.

Best,
Herbert

PS: patches have been updated for 4.4.275 and 4.9.275. enjoy!