Re: [vserver] funding the 5.10 vserver goal

From: Romain Rivière <romain+vserver_at_forty-two.fr>
Date: Mon 12 Jul 2021 - 15:25:37 BST

Hi,

On 12/07/2021 13:34, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>> One more question to Herbert, would that effort guarantee a VS patch
>> that would be maintained/updated as long as the 5.10/5.11 kernel?
>> If so, I would be OK to contribute a bit more than my original idea.
>
> Till now, I've always maintained/updated a patch as long as the
> kernel branch was still alive. I do not plan to change that for
> 5.10/5.11.

Please forgive me if this sounds "pushy", my intent is not to belittle
your efforts but just to clarify what to expect from this funding effort :)
At the moment, the latest patch available against 4.9 is 9.5 months old.
I checked it against 4.9.272 last month and it has a few rejected hunks,
although I haven't investigated their severity.
I fully understand that a new kernel patchlevel doesn't always warrant a
new VS patch. But could we expect the failed hunks to be investigated
and fixed during the kernel branch's lifetime?

Cheers

--
Romain