Re: [vserver] Future of the vserver project

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 06 Jul 2020 - 11:45:22 BST

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 08:47:30AM +0200, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Christoph,

> I want to ask about the future of the Linux vserver project.

Development is currently in deep freeze, although we do
bug fixes whenever reported/found.

At some point, Linux-VServer will be obsolete and completely
replaced by mainline LXC plus various security frameworks.

> Will there ever be a patch for kernel newer than 4.9.159,
> which is already quite old,

There is already ...
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/patch-4.9.217-vs2.3.9.12.diff

Just the automatic wiki update is not working anymore and
I didn't bother to fix it yet ... and I forgot to update
the page manually :)

> for example for the 4.19 longterm kernel?

This always depends on the interrest of the community.

LXC seems to be 'good enough' for most folks working with
isolation nowadays, so the 'demand' has declined.

If there are enough folks interested in an update and/or
somebody is willing to sponsor development for a new
kernel branch, then I'm always available to do that.

Hope that clarifies,
Herbert