Re: [vserver] util-vserver maintenance and progression

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Wed 16 Aug 2017 - 17:00:41 BST

Hi,

Ben Green wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel@hozac.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ben Green wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> recently I compiled util-vserver with a very useful patch by
>>> Alexanders which make its work with systemd hosts.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/AlexanderS/util-vserver/tree/fix/systemd-shared-mounts
>>
>> Does this work without breaking existing functionality? IIRC that was
>> the
>> problem originally with the patches to enable that.
>
> Thanks for getting back to us Daniel!
>
> I've not found any problems with the patch so far. There's been some
> odd behaviour on my desktop machine, but all the other test
> environments I've tried it seems fine.

And using the admin namespace for mounting things into a
running guest works?

>>> I'd like this to be merged upstream, but the
>>> river has run dry.
>>
>> I haven't gotten any direct emails or notifications from github, so
>> curious
>> how you determined that?
>
> https://github.com/linux-vserver/util-vserver/pull/26
>
> There's the pull request from 23rd July 2016. You've not responded to
> it since then, there's been no response to the pull request #25
> either.

The discussion about it was on IRC.

> The last time you communicated via github was is March 2014,
> so I think I can be forgiven for assuming that wasn't a good
> communication channel for you.
>
> As for direct mail, I didn't want to disturb you if you were keeping a
> distance from the project, this was clearly a mistake on my part and
> in future I will send an email to you.
>
> You have been largely unresponsive on your usual channels of
> communication. It's absolutely your right to do that and I have no
> judgement against it. I realise that the project has been somewhat
> languid due primarily to it working so well without need of any
> changes, and that I'm now pushing for changes due to my own personal
> needs, which you can help with or not as you see fit.

Do you want to maintain it? I don't want to create releases if I am
not going to around to fix issues in it. No release is better than
a broken release in my opinion.

> Most of us hate systemd and the way it was plopped onto all our heads
> like a unfortunate seagull crap, but it appears to be here to stay and
> I just want to try to cope with it now.
>
>> Generally, you would just include the patches on top of the upstream
>> tarball
>> in your package, just bumping the release number appropriately. No need
>> rename anything, as that just causes confusion and unhappiness.
>
> I wanted to provide a repository with both the upstream and the
> AlexanderS branch. To that end I've rebuilt the packages with the
> following names and included them in the Psand repository:
>
> util-vserver-systemd - utilities for managing Linux-VServer guests

Probably not the best name as IIRC Enrico's systemd patches create
a subpackage with that name.

Daniel