Re: [vserver] Centos7

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 22 Sep 2016 - 20:09:42 BST

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:53:08PM +0000, Ron Jeremy wrote:

Hey Ron!

> I have been using linux-vserver on my machines for over 10
> years, rock solid and I don't know what I would do without
> it!

Great to hear!

> That being said, I am at a point now where I have require-
> ments where I absolutely need to have some Centos7 guests.

> I understand it still cant be installed as a linux-vserver
> guest because util-vserver doesnt work with systemd yet.

Actually it's the other way round: systemd doesn't support
Linux-VServer yet, it insists on capabilities and hardware
access which isn't safe or secure to give.

> Centos5 "end of life" is less than a year away, glibc in
> Centos6 (eol in 2020) is already too old for many current
> applications, so Centos7 support i would think is going to
> have to be inevitable.

> I have had to resort to buying a separate machine to install
> Centos7 standalone.

> I am sure there are a ton of happy linux-vserver users in
> the same boat, and as time goes on and distros use systemd
> it is going to become even more urgent, else linux-vserver
> will be left by the wayside.

There is no problem installing all the Centos7 stuff in
Linux-VServer guests, and you can even use all the fancy
new libraries, programs and applications.

The only thing which will refuse to work in a Guest is
systemd, which unfortunately is used by many distros out
there because of major lobbying.

> So please, please make it a priority to be able to install
> a Centos7 guest!

Currently we do not plan to make any effords to support
systemd inside a Linux-VServer container (this would be a
lot of otherwise useless virtualization and faking this or
that) mainly because there is no reasonable support by the
systemd maintainer (debugging systemd is a major PITA).

Feel free to find some funding or folks interested in
making this happen and we can talk about the details.

All the best,
Herbert