Re: [vserver] linux 3.10.4[123] and patch-3.10.40-vs2.3.6.8.diff

From: Ben Green <ben_at_bristolwireless.net>
Date: Thu 12 Jun 2014 - 16:57:01 BST

Quoting Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>:

> i see people hop on irc or post to the mailing list saying the latest
> official patch won't apply to the latest kernel version, but they haven't
> tried the patch i've provided (yes, it sometimes works across major kernel
> versions) nor offered to help herbert (technically or financially).
>
> i also understand that it's to herbert's benefit to care for the community so
> that people don't leave and he lose his testers and other benefits (but i'm
> also comfortable with him porting linux-vserver to newer major kernel
> versions and the community port to newer minor versions).
>
> anyways, just a suggestion to the community at large.

What I do with the repos is to only compile with the patches Herbert
releases. They do take a while sometimes, but if there's any
suggestion you have as to how I could be part of speeding up that
process that would be great. Compiling an entire kernel to test a
patch is a tall order for most people, even those of us who do that
sort of thing regularly.

I guess what I'm saying is that part "community port to newer minor
versions" sounds like it might have some mileage, but how?

How would we ensure sufficient testing of the community patches? Is
there a procedure we can follow that would mean Herbert would be
satisfied enough with the quality of the community patches he'd allow
them to distributed on the linux-vserver website?

Cheers,
Ben