Re: [vserver] linux 3.10.4[123] and patch-3.10.40-vs2.3.6.8.diff

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu 12 Jun 2014 - 14:25:22 BST

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:37:14 +0200
Florian Kaiser <mailinglists@florian-kaiser.net> wrote:

> Corey,
>
> Am 12.06.2014 06:36, schrieb Corey Wright:
> > instructions:
> > 1. acquire linux-3.10.43
> > 2. apply patch-3.10.40-vs2.3.6.8.diff
> > 3. apply the previously attached patch-3.10.40-41-vs2.3.6.8.diff
> > 4. make Makefile changes manually
>
> Thank you very much for your patches and instructions, highly appreciated.

you are welcome.

> I can confirm all applies flawlessly. Resulting kernel passes all tests and
> runs just fine in production, no suspicious dmsg output or known bugs so far.

thanks for the testing. (the more the merrier.)

> It would be great if Herbert could include them for the 3.10.x line and post
> an updated 2.3.6.8.diff on the website.

not directed towards you, florian, but to everybody who has asked for updated
vserver patches on the mailing list or irc...

if you would like to motivate herbert, may i recommend you either:
1. help out with the process (welcome to free and open source)
  a. provide source code (eg patches)
  b. provide testing
2. offer him something
  a. money
  b. hardware (he has posted a wishlist a few times previously)

i see people hop on irc or post to the mailing list saying the latest
official patch won't apply to the latest kernel version, but they haven't
tried the patch i've provided (yes, it sometimes works across major kernel
versions) nor offered to help herbert (technically or financially).

i also understand that it's to herbert's benefit to care for the community so
that people don't leave and he lose his testers and other benefits (but i'm
also comfortable with him porting linux-vserver to newer major kernel
versions and the community port to newer minor versions).

anyways, just a suggestion to the community at large.

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com