[vserver] /var/run on tmpfs problem

From: Tor Rune Skoglund <trs_at_swi.no>
Date: Tue 21 Jan 2014 - 13:48:45 GMT

Hi List,

have a new installation here, and after reboots, the vservers will not
start - with the following error:

The following problem(s) were encountered while verifying vshelper
functionality:
* The vshelper state-directory '/var/run/vshelper' does not exist; since
it is created by 'make install', this indicates a serious problem with
your util-vserver installatio
[...]

... Which is correct. /var/run is a link to /run, which is again mounted
on tmpfs, so no-one has created /var/run/vshelper on boot.

The easiest one-liner I found was simply to re-emerge util-vserver on
every reboot, but is there an "official", longer-term solution? I am
using util-vserver 0.30.216_pre3038, which is ~ masked, but presumably
needed for newer kernels.

(Btw, this kind of illustrates the degrading state of vserver on Gentoo
atm, which cannot be installed without patches or manual interception
and googling.... which would scare off new users...)

- Tor Rune Skoglund, trs@swi.no