Re: [vserver] Running Plex media server on Ubuntu guest

From: Art -kwaak- van Breemen <ard_at_telegraafnet.nl>
Date: Tue 05 Mar 2013 - 17:48:21 GMT

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 10:09:02AM -0700, David Vanfleet wrote:
> I'm trying to run the Plex Media server (see http://www.plexapp.com)
> from a vserver guest and I'm having problems. It installed without
> errors and when I start it with the command "service plexmediaserver
> start" the prompt returns without errors but the process does not
> start.

Any mediaserver/DLNA/UPnP app uses multicast for device discovery
and device anouncements.
To get that to work you can do 2 things:
1) Either create the correct multicast address and put that in
the /etc/vservers/<vserver>/interfaces/<aname>/ip and stuff
2) Put the plexapp in its own network namespace and assign it a
macvlan, and give it some rights for multicast stuff.

Currently 1) is the easier way to go for most of us.
Since 2) is pretty common for me, I would mix 1 and 2. But you
need some util-vserver "extensions" for that.

So good luck with the multicast ;-).

Regards,
Ard van Breemen