[vserver] Automatic gratuitous ARP on startup

From: Christian Balzer <chibi_at_gol.com>
Date: Thu 18 Aug 2011 - 06:17:23 BST

Hello,

Would have joined the IRC channel and asked there, but a) it doesn't let
me connect (prolly because I'm hailing from smelly Asia) and b) despite
the log mail archives tend to be the first thing people go looking for
previously asked questions.

Anyways, I would love to issue a gratuitous ARP (arping) when a vserver
comes up, using the normal vserver-util framework. My hope is to find
something akin to the "up do-stuff" ability of /etc/network/interfaces
control file for ifup/ifdown.
While the CISCO gear does allow the arp cache timeout to be set down to
one second, it actually keeps caching things for at least a minute. It
does however (when told so) honor gratuitous ARP requests.

Regards,

Christian

chibi@gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/